The finalists for the 29th annual Lambda Literary awards were announced on March 14th. As always, I find myself perusing the nominees and ending up with plenty of great books to add to my TBR shelf on Goodreads. Below, you will find a handful of the contenders (plucked from Lambda Literary’s website, where you can find the full list). These are books that I read or listened to last year (or, in the case of Building Fires in the Snow: A Collection of Alaska LGBTQ Short Fiction and Poetry, finally got my hands on last night after two months of round-and-round mail service).
I’m always interested in how a committee selects finalists out of a huge pool of incredible voices. What mixture of style, substance, judges, awareness, etc, produces the award list? Of course, many books that we love and appreciate for a variety of reasons will never make an award list. I tend to view awards as more a tool to help build library collections or create a base from which to grow my awareness of the world around me. I’m so thankful for the wider world of LGBTQIA+ literature discussions. If not for folks on Twitter liking a kickstarter campaigns for incredibly cute graphic novels or sharing a resource; or Tumblr folks reblogging a booklist or poems, my world would be that much smaller.
The winners will be announced on June 12, 2017 during the organizations gala event in New York City. Are there any books that you feel deserve that extra award bump? Please share then with me in the comments below!
***Click on the link (reviewed or blog) next to select titles for reviews I posted here and at The Lesbrary.***
- A Thin Bright Line, Lucy Jane Bledsoe, University of Wisconsin Press (reviewed)
- Here Comes the Sun, Nicole Dennis-Benn, Liveright Publishing Corporation (reviewed)
- Marrow Island, Alexis M. Smith, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
- Collide-O-Scope, Andrea Bramhall, Ylva Publishing
- I‘m Just a Person, Tig Notaro, Ecco
- Indomitable: The Life of Barbara Grier, Joanne Passet, Bella Books
- Loving Eleanor, Susan Wittig Albert, Persevero Press (reviewed)
- The Liberators of Willow Run, Marianne K. Martin, Bywater Books (reviewed)
- Building Fires in the Snow: A Collection of Alaska LGBTQ Short Fiction and Poetry, Martha Amore and Lucian Childs, Editors, University of Alaska Press / Snowy Owl Books Imprint
LGBTQ Children‘s/Young Adult
- Girl Mans Up, M.E. Girard, Harper Teen (reviewed)
- Symptoms of Being Human, Jeff Garvin, Balzer + Bray
LGBTQ Graphic Novels